Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Breastfeeding Blog Post

This week is World Breastfeeding week, I haven't taken time to really talk about breastfeeding on here, and I think it's time. 



Over the past 9 months, I have become passionate about breastfeeding, the benefits, the connection, what more could you ask for? Breastfeeding is natural, biologically our bodies are designed to nourish our babies, with our breasts. However, it's not easy. The first few days, weeks and even months are awkward. You spend your nursing session trying to get comfortable with this tiny new baby in your arms. You wonder if you're holding baby in the right position. Is baby getting enough? Is her latch ok? There's a million things running through your mind, you're exhausted, and all this baby wants to do is nurse. 

Luckily, as time goes by, you and baby figure things out. You become comfortable with each other and slowly, but surely breastfeeding becomes your quiet time, your time to bond with and love on your baby. I've often found myself stroking her face softly, staring at every detail of her tiny body and marveling in this tiny miracle. 

Breastfeeding is a journey, and it's not always the easiest one. From the early days of discomfort, to the endless opinionated comments. You'll hear that you should cover while breastfeeding because why would you want to flaunt your breasts for others? You'll hear that you should pump so others can feed your baby. People may comment about how often baby is eating, or even comment on your child's weight. But, eventually, you find your groove, you ignore the comments, you do what works for you and your baby, because, at the end if the day, that's all that matters. 

So, to all the mama's, I support you. Breastfeed exclusively from the breast, or pumped in to bottles, however you choose. If you use donor milk, I support you and the moms like myself that are pumping for your little ones. The moms that weren't able to breastfeed for medical reasons, or maybe you just didn't want to breastfeed, I support you too. There's too much shaming in motherhood and it has to stop. Support each other, love on each other and remember you are not alone. 

I know that one day my own breastfeeding journey with my daughter will end, but today is not that day. So, as I sit here typing this, I have a groggy eyed, breastfeeding baby staring back at me. I will soak her in, I will enjoy every tiny detail, because I want to remember the work we put in to this journey. 



Thank you to Paulina Lana of Paulina Lane photography for the beautiful photos of myself and my little nursling, and for the group shot. These photos are from an empowering mothers photo shoot, where over 20 moms stood side by side and nourished their babies their way.
Check out more of Paulina's work at www.paulinalanephoto.com



No comments: